Sunday, May 25, 2014

Final Fantasy III Part 2: Getting Reacquainted


So after not engaging in the World Tour in over a year and switching hardware, I did not have all of the same tools as before. With my files in mixed formats and hours of recorded footage, I decided it was easier just to start over again. I will not re-write about the very beginning since you can read all about it in Part 1. It is pretty much the same exact thing I did in the first post (I even named my crew once again after members of the Belmont family.).

What Did I Do in Final Fantasy III Today?

I decided to go with an aggressive party format. Simon and Julius are Fighters, Rikter is a Monk, and Trevor is a Red Wizard. My favorite part of any FF game with a flexible job system is that you can readjust your party for the challenges that arise. This of course is different from the original FF in which your party is set. There was only one opportunity for the party to change classes, and that was an upgrade more so than an a straight-up class change. Having played through the DS remake in the past, I know that I will need to change classes to accommodate more magic-heavy areas later on. For now, like in most RPGs, the beginning is about whacking enemies and gaining some levels. 

Did you know magic is an item in FF3? You didn't? Let me tell you all about magic then! Anyone can equip magic, even if they cannot use it. That way, if you plan to switch a Fighter to a Red Wizard, they will be ready. Of course, the direction you change classes is critical. For example, if you switch from a Fighter to a Red Wizard, you will be able to cast magic but won't have any MP. If you switch from a Red Wizard to a Fighter, you will lose all of your MP because Fighters can't cast spells. Don't think you can switch again and get that MP back. It's gone, baby gone until you go back and restore your MP. Finally, you are not married to your magic. If you don't want a character to have that spell any longer, you can convert it back to an item and give it to somebody else for awhile. I think you can even sell back spells you aren't interested in keeping (since each character can only learn up to 3 spells per magic level). The ability to equip and unequip magic is leaps and bounds better than FF1, where once you buy it, you have it, for better or worse.

Storywise, I returned to the boys' hometown of Ur, where the elder told us that he knew that they would be chosen by the Crystal and that we have to go bring back light to the crystals (although we don't know why they are losing their light). I took some time to walk about the town and remembered that it does not cost money to sleep here. At the Inn, you can just sleep in any bed without cost, and in the Elder's home, you can heal all HP and MP or resurrect dead allies free of charge. I can't remember if that service exists in other towns. There is even a piano in the bar like in FF5. I forget if you can "level up" playing the piano like you can in FF5.

What strikes me most about Ur is that you can get in random encounters in parts of the town. In fact, the first time I fought the Werewolves, I was completely clobbered. I quickly reloaded, bought new equipment for my party, and returned with much better results. My main prize was the Cure spell, another of which I found in the next area.

What's Happening in the Plot?

When I reached the town of Kaustus (spelling?), I found out it was a real ghost town (ugh!), with flat ghosts walking around. One of these ghosts is Cid, who lets us use his airship to try to take down Jinn, an evil demon who has turned this town and the castle of Sasonne into ghosts like him. The airship feels pretty useless because it can't travel over mountains, but it helps me cross the river into the Cave of Seals and through the forest to the castle without any random encounters to deal with. I picked the castle clean and even scored the Wight Slayer, which makes my Red Wizard great against the undead. I have to admit I got my butt kicked and had to reload because I wanted my whole party to get experience from the Griffon guarding that chest. After going into the Cave of Seals, I find some treasure, fight some battles, and head back out to heal, get recovery items, and save. It has been a very long day, and there will be plenty of new posts coming soon.

Let me know how the new format style is working with you. It is a work in progress!

Next Time: Final Fantasy III Part 3: The Cave of Seals and Beyond
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment