Saturday, October 22, 2016

Where Have I Been?

Hey Everyone,

It makes me happy to see that some people have taken time to read over this blog and get some enjoyment out of it. I loved replaying FF1 and suffering through FF2 for the sake of sharing it with others interested in these games. When I got to FF3, I experienced a lot of difficulties using the methods I used in the past to play.

There was as point where it started to feel like work and that I did not enjoy it that much. There were other times where I had technical difficulties. At the end of the day, though, I made excuses for something that was really not a big deal. This isn't my job-it's my hobby!

That being said, sharing my gaming experiences with other people has been one of my life's passions. It's funny how something so seemingly bland can be such a motivation for others. If someone had told me that I should watch every episode of Breaking Bad and give my thoughts on it, I would have laughed in their face. I LOVE that show, but really, a Let's "Watch"? Now one of my favorite podcasts is Talking Simpsons, hosted by the wonderful Bob Mackey, who does something just along those lines, taking a chronological approach to one of my favorite shows of all time. I find it funny that a TV show with so many episodes I've seen countless times could be enriched with others' perspectives. It reminded me of why I liked Let's Plays in the first place.

I've grown up a bit since then, and I've come to the realization that we are not all superstars in everything that we do. We have our careers and our personal lives. We are not perfect in everything, and we have a limited time on this world. Video games are to me what TV may be for my friends and co-workers.

All too often, I see people post on forums asking others how to enjoy their hobby. Here is a short list:

What game should I play next?
How long should I play this game?
Should I have to fully complete every game I own?
Look at my Steam Backlog of SHAME!!

I've fallen into "analysis paralysis" several times in my life as well. When I do, I remember that the purpose of games is to have fun and take a break from regular life. So what if I end up not playing or enjoying a game that I own? So what if I never go to finish a game I've owned since I was a kid? Did I enjoy it? Great! Did I not enjoy it? That's OK too! Nobody has to tell you how to enjoy your free time except for yourself

This post has gotten pretty long, so I'm going to take a step back and remember why I started writing this. I always felt a little guilty that I never finished doing the FF3 section of the blog. I don't know if I will ever come back to doing what I do in this format again, but rest assured, I look forward to sharing my experiences again in the future soon.

I would be lying to you if I said I knew when I would again and in what form. I hope you've enjoyed what I've done here, and you may see me here again soon!

In the meantime, if you want some perspective from people who are very passionate about games, I recommend checking out the crew at USGamer.net as well as the Retronauts podcast.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment